Tuesday, August 24, 2010

No traffic jam when Hessler drove

I'm currently reading Peter Hessler's wonderful Country Driving, about Hessler's travels (driving a rented car) around rural China.

So I had a certain 'deja vu' sensation when I read the recent reports about the massive traffic jams in China on National Highway 110 which leads west from Beijing. Isn't that the road the Hessler drove, I thought? Sure enough, it is.

Hessler's book is fascinating, and very well written. Give it a try, if you're looking for that next book to read.

Update: Over on BoingBoing, Maggie Koerth-Baker has some nice updated links.

1 comment:

  1. I was sort of hoping Peter Hessler would comment on the 60-mile traffic jam himself. His book (which I too liked a lot) provides great background for understanding how such a jam could have happened over time.

    ReplyDelete