Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Apache Derby 10.7 has been released

The 10.7 release of the Apache Derby project is now live on the Apache website!

Congratulations to the Derby team, they continue to do wonderful work! I didn't have many direct contributions to this release, as I've been extremely busy with other projects and spending less time on Derby recently. However, several of my Google Summer of Code students made substantial contributions to this release:

  • Nirmal Fernando contributed the query plan exporting tool, which can format a captured Derby query plan as XML for further analysis or for formatting for easier comprehension

  • Eranda Sooriyabandara contributed to the TRUNCATE TABLE effort.



I believe the Unicode database names feature was also a GSoC-contributed feature.

I hope to continue being part of the Derby community in the future. Even if I'm not directly contributing features and bug fixes, I still enjoy spending time on the mailing lists, learning from the work that others on the project do, answering questions and participating in the discussions, etc. It's been a great group of people to be involved with, and I'm pleased to be a member of the Derby community.

If you're looking for a low-footprint, reliable, high-quality database, and even more so if you're looking for one implemented in Java, check out Derby.

1 comment: