Friday, September 7, 2012

The Pit River

Over at Tom Hilton's marvelous Whitney Survey blog, the team have traveled up the Sacramento River to its confluence with the Pit River: September 7, 1862: Sacramento River Upper Ferry.

I have wonderful memories of inner-tubing on the Pit River when I was in my early teens. This was farther up the river, near Montgomery Creek.

Nowadays, much of the upper Sacramento/Pit confluence is underneath the enormous Lake Shasta, formed when the gigantic Shasta Dam was created during World War II.

I haven't been following the progress of the proposal to raise the height of the dam, but I see on Wikipedia that it's still under consideration.

These rivers are beautiful and the neighboring countryside is fascinating to explore; it has been fun to read the Whitney Survey articles and remember the times I spent there, forty years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment